Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Cinnamon Date Bars

I’ve been wanting a food processor for a decade, and last week I finally bought one!  My initial reason was for making homemade Larabars, because we eat lots of them! You’re welcome Larabar Co. 
I’ve had a half used box of dates for awhile now, and they just weren’t getting eaten.
  


Add to that a half used bag of slightly crystallized raisins, and half a container of slivered almonds. D uses walnuts regularly in his oatmeal, so I’m going to start buying those and some other useful pantry ingredients in bulk, but more on that in another post.  Pecans are a nice addition if you have them on hand. Otherwise, double up on walnuts. 



I bought bulk organic cinnamon recently at Sam’s, which is the only big box store in our area. But it’ll do. 



Last ingredient, according to the Larabar package, is sea salt.   Check.

CINNAMON DATE BARS

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 cups dates, soaked for 15 minutes to soften
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 heaping tsp cinnamon, or to taste + more to sprinkle
1/2 tsp sea salt

*make sure nuts are not salted. I use nuts from the baking aisle. 

DIRECTIONS:
Pulse softened dates and raisins in food processor until well mixed.  Pour into a bowl. Pulse walnuts and almonds to crumb size. Add date/raisin mixture, along with cinnamon and sea salt. Pulse until well combined.
Line square baking dish with parchment, and press mixture to even thickness.  Sprinkle top with cinnamon. Cover with parchment. Refrigerate until chilled through, then cut into bars. I wrapped these individually, and stored them in the fridge. They are delicious and won’t last long!  

I need to order some bulk dates. 




1 comment:

  1. I love the packaging! Is that wax or parchment paper?

    ReplyDelete