Sunday, January 27, 2019

Knitting Tiny Sweaters

I tried to get into knitting years ago, when HK was a toddler, but I’m left-handed and back then I was not as patient. This is a virtue that takes practice, after all. But recently I caught the knitting bug again, because I love tiny things and I decided that my dolls could really use sweaters on these cold winter days. So I watched a YouTube video on knitting raglan sweaters and started my own before I got to the end of the tutorial. I mean, the end is just casting off, right?  



The next challenge was finally figuring out how to use multiple double-pointed needles to knit in the round. 😮
This is the only way to achieve tiny sleeves. I couldn’t find any videos specific to my left-handed needs, so I just started jamming needles into stitches. What better way than throwing oneself into something with abandon?  I ended up ripping out three entire tiny sweaters (which don’t seem so tiny after HOURS of knitting go into making them...but I’m getting a bit faster). 



This time, I haven’t ripped out any rows (knocking on wood for real right now), and I dare say I’ve got a fairly decent idea of what I’m doing. I tried it on a doll and it fit!  And it was darling. I’ll post the finished product, hopefully soon. Though I am a left-handed knitter, and I’ve been told I knit the slow way. So we shall see. Excited anyway. 


No comments:

Post a Comment